Sunday, September 16, 2007

Magic YOUR Way!

September 16, 2007
Scott says we need a new saying around our house when we are pleased with someone's service, or when someone goes out of their way for someone else. I suggested "Magic Your Way" since Disney World is what inspired his comment. We had such a good time that I don't even know where to begin! First let me say, for all of you who prayed for me before our trip (due to my Mono) Thank you! The Saturday before we left I woke up without a headache or sore throat for the first time in 3 weeks. (Good sign). Sunday early am (4:00) our adventure began. We headed to the airport with only 3 carry on suitcases (be impressed people, be very impressed!) Of course in my suitcase was my big clear Clinique bag with every bathroom item you can imagine. The sweet security man helped me separate it all into 3 clear zip loc bags and then we were ready to go. Our flight attendants must have been hired by Walt Disney himself because they were hilarious! (Example: if you have more than one child and you have to use the oxygen masks, please choose the child with the most potential first...ha ha) We landed and the Magic began. (Ya'll if you've never experienced the service of Disney first hand...oh my gosh! Their customer service Rocks!) We were picked up by a cool shuttle and taken to our hotel.(Side note: ok, when I booked this vacation of course I chose the value hotel. Let's just say this was the only "kink" in our trip. Not a good room, smelled like smoke, we were disappointed. No problem...we upgraded to a moderate resort 'Caribbean Beach'...now were talking!) Our vacation package included free dining so we had several character meal opportunities. We ate breakfast with the Princesses, Dinner with Goofy and friends at the Liberty Tree Tavern, and then breakfast again with Mickey and Donald. (Did I mention this was FREE!) Sunday (our traveling day) was my only really tiring day. I had to go to the hotel and rest for a little while, but come Monday I was good to go. Abby was the perfect age (8) and height to enjoy her first trip to Disney. She could ride everything (and she did) and she could keep up with the pace, not have to take naps, etc. Animal Kingdom is our favorite simply because they were so good to us. We happened to be in the right place at the right time and were awarded Dream Fast Passes! (Side note: We are waiting to be picked up by the shuttle bus for our day at Animal Kingdom and it seems to never come. Magic Kingdom, MGM, Internal Shuttle, Epcot, all come by 2 and 3 times. Where is our bus? I can be a little impatient (Understatement of the year) and was "Fussing" a little bit like I usually do when I don't get me way. Finally our bus came (after what seemed like an eternity ...I can be a little overdramatic) and we get to the park. Now, when we got those fast passes the Holy Spirit reminded me of the verse "All things work together for good..."
I know Disney may not be the most "spiritual" place in the world, but you can learn some really important things there (or at least I did). Lesson 1: God's timing is perfect. If I had gotten what I wanted when I wanted it, we would have missed out on Dream Passes, a behind the scenes tour of our favorite ride (Everest Expedition), and a perfect safari trip. Lesson 2: God provides. I needed a room where I could really rest and have quiet surroundings, I needed strength physically, and we have prayed that not only would I endure but that I would also enjoy...God provided! Lesson 3: "Above all love one another deeply...for love covers a multitude of sins."
Do ya'll realize that Disney exemplifies this verse better than most Christians (or at least me and my family)? They are out to serve! What a lesson we could learn if we put their "business" practice into our daily lives. What if I served others the way I want to be served? What if I treated others like they were the only people around and their needs were all that mattered?
What if "FantasyLand" didn't have to be a Fantasy Land? Heaven is the only place where we can truly be free from selfishness, from pride, from laziness, etc. But if you need an "earthly" reminder ....you can find it at Disney! We had such a good time that we are already saving for our next trip. We found a few quarters in the dryer and put it in the Disney Piggy Bank! Maybe it wasn't just Disney world that was so great. Maybe it was being with my family, no TV, no phones, NO COMPUTER! Just enjoying one another's company....laughing...screaming together on silly rides....eating a great meal....
It wasn't "perfect", but it was pretty close. It was the best vacation my family has ever had. We have lots of great pictures(I'll be happy to share), great memories, and great lessons to cherish. I hope you all get a chance to experience Disney...and (don't judge me for this) but... I do hope there's a roller coaster in Heaven!

3 comments:

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

I am so glad that you had such a nice time with your family, Wendy.
It seems to me that you are on to something here with your deductions of Disney vs. the Christian walk. I have been thinking lately that I want to live the way I ultimately desire to be in the Lord, which is characterized by love, and those are literally minute by minute decisions.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip!!! We were there last September and loved it! The girls want to go back, but we'll probably keep saving our nickles and dimes for a couple more years!! Glad you had fun and I enjoyed the insights!

Andrea said...

Good times, my friend!!! I can't wait to go with my little Cookies, but I think you are right about waiting until they are older.
So happy to hear you felt good! :-)